Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A few words about,"Feelings into Words" by Seamus Heaney

Ever since the oral poets of the Ancient Celtic world fell into the scholarly abyss around the11 nth century only two poets seem to have enjoyed both popular and cortical acclaim. Yeats and now in the 19th century Seamus Heaney in the Celtic world of poetic art.His poems have a simplicity ,his early poems give a very acute account of rural Irish Life.His essay Feelings into Words proves he he has continued over his career and his writings to probe the depths of English literature while keeping his distance from it.He has been the recipient of the Nobel Prize in 1995 for literature
This essay is well worth the read for any poet.in his word's of great wisdom I am restored time and time again .to my resolve to write my feelings out on paper:"I intend to retrace some paths into what William Wordsworth called in the "Prelude" *the hiding places.
                                    "the hiding places of my power
                                     seem open; I approach, and then they close
Heaney is very much in the Irish tradition for he has learned to transcend the vision  of rural Irish people and recount his personal experience in terms of his countries history.For Heaney the personal is political and the political is personal..
                                  "I see by glimpses now; when age comes on,
                                   May scarcely see at all, and I would give,
                                   A substance and a life to what I feel.
                                   I would enshrine the spirit of the past
                                   for future restoration 

No comments:

Post a Comment